Wednesday 13 November 2013

Don't Be A Sheep

I've been reading a lot lately, a lot of poetry, anti-conformist literature, indie-articles and yes they're pretentious but I believe they make some good points on how materialistic and conformist our world has become, in terms of people following and buying what they are told is cool. Ever since I saw the movie Fight Club and subsequently read the book I have been on this self made, self righteous path of independence and non-conformity. I was sort of on that path before the Fight Club induced epiphany, due to the other influences i.e. Nirvana(not original I know)but that movie gave me the real kick I needed. I used to try desperately hard to fit in but now I'm the opposite. I'm happy on the outside. I like being on the other side of the fence looking in at the sheep. Don't get me wrong I like nice things and I buy from high street shops, which is hypocritical I'll admit, but I know I don't need it all. I'm not attached to any of it. I don't buy anything because it's what is fashionable, ever! I try not to fall into any category. I'd hate to be given a label and sorted into a box.
I believe that we need a bit more diversity in today's society. The vast majority of people I see in the city are all wearing the same cloths. I walked past Trinity College last week and three girls walked pass me at the same time in a line with the same coat, similar hair styles, light blue jeans and some hipster variation of brown boots. I saw a picture of something like it on the Internet but I did not truly grasp the severity of the issue until I saw it for myself that day outside Trinity College. I've been seeing it more now since my mind is aware of the phenomenon. I often feel like going all Tyler Durden (Protagonist in Fight Club) on the asses of the trend followers, the "wanna be's", the hipsters and the image obsessed Starbucks crowds.
The worst thing about all the sheep is that none of them have their own opinion on anything and just follow the words of the group leader or look on twitter for the majority vote and they then go with that. Even worse, they then try to pass that opinion as their own original thought. We all know it's the general consensus that a remake is  never as good as the original, right? Well as I was walking out of the cinema after watching James Wan's captivating Insidious Chapter 2 a while back I heard a group of young girls behind me already analysing the movie and one girl with the typical hipster get up on loudly proclaimed with a slight patronising and self righteous tone "Yeah it was good but you can never beat the original". I was ready to turn around and dish out a can of verbal wop ass on her for that unoriginal and wrong opinion. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but this was not her opinion. Firstly it was a squeal not a remake so her remark was invalid. Secondly I thought it was better then the first movie. Thirdly her tone was so patronising toward all the girls around her, whom I suspect were her friends, that it was just plain rude and belittled her supposed friends, which is actually common nature of the hipster(Imaging that in David Attenborough's voice). And lastly I, along with everybody else, knew she was just saying that to try and sound cool. (F.Y.I it didn't work.) That shit just makes my blood boil for some unexplained reason. I understand it's easier and less scary to follow then to break away from the herd but people need to be individuals otherwise the world becomes a very dull, boring and annoying place. By all means if you see something in a shop that you like buy it but don't buy it just because it's what is trending right now. Really think about it and ask yourself do you really like it. Then buy it. "The things you own end up owning you" - Tyler Durden. You'll become something you're not. Sheep are ascetically nice, with all that fluffy wool, but nobody aspires to be a sheep when they are a kid. We all wanted to be big loud dinosaurs or lions. Go out and be a lion. Voice your opinions don't plagiarize. Do not do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment