Sunday 10 November 2013

A Higher Standard of Listening.

I don't want my first blog to be just me moaning about the state of today's popular music, so I am going to say what I think and then ask you all for your opinions. Opinions on today's music vs. the masters like The Cure, Nirvana, Radiohead, The Smiths, The Pixies and your opinions on what I've said. I know some of the greats are still making music and I don't mean to talk about them as if they're dead but the culture, the art form, is out of the spot light and it's been replaced by a simple, processed, uninspiring, money hungry business. I'm well aware that there are some very talented bands and musicians out there such as Muse, John Mayer, CHVRCHES, The 1975, The Weeknd and the list goes on. They are making brilliant music but my one big problem is that the Morrissey's, Cobain's, Sinatra's guys like Robert Smith have been replaced by the Miley Cyrus's,Justin Bieber's and something called a Nicki Minaj. Most of the top ten songs in the charts were not written by the people that perform them. They were drummed up by a group of trained song writers with just two aims. One make a song that is up beat and will catch the attention of teenage girls. Two it has to generate profits. Big, big profits. Money Money Money Money Money. Dollar signs appear in the eyes of these fat cat record labels when they hear a song they know will makes young women's hearts melt. I do believe there are people and musicians alike out there who still keep the art alive and there is a vibrant quality music scene but it is just an abomination against what music is to have the mind numbing repetitive passionless noise we hear on our radios today. Music is, like all art forms, an expression of the soul and that used to present itself loudly and proudly and it was heard and rightfully made a big deal of. But now what is held up to praise is the mindless spewing of a drama whore, the moronic lyrics of a simpleton and the musical dynamics of a rhythm-less spoilt child. I want to bring to the attention of the people that it seems to me the bar has been lowered for the standard of music my generation and the ones that follow have been handed. In general the bar it has been lowered but I think we deserve better. A better filter for what is broadcast on our radio's and music channels. We almost did it back in 2009 when the incredible "Killing in the Name" by the awe inspiring Rage Against The Machine stopped the X Factor winners song reaching the Christmas number one. We need to start another campaign like that but on a grander scale. Is anybody with me?

Please Comment on what I've said I really want to hear from you. What song should we try get to number one this Christmas? I'm on twitter @Chriscwduff so catch me there if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment