Monday 31 March 2014

My week at Brown Bag Films

This week I was privileged with spending five days in the glorious Brown Bag Films buildings and it was truly amazing. At first I was nervous, a big organization with an impeccable reputation and that had an air of prestige whisk through the air whenever their name was uttered but from day one the people were so friendly and welcoming I was instantly put at ease. Everybody I met just had a contagious upbeat attitude that could make you want to laugh and dance like one of the characters in their many wonderful animations.

Day one consisted of me typing up conform-boards which was actually fun. I learnt that there is actually a ton of time consuming processes that go into creating, even just an eight minute animation. Time seemed to fly as I was submersed into this new word I had previously no experience with. There was not a lull or dull moment in the entire day and luckily the rest of the week would follow in the same style.

Day two was pretty similar although I was sitting in a different desk to the day before and would swap desks every day I felt comfortable, at ease and strangely at home. My work consisted of more conform boards and running around handing out post which was good because it gave me a chance to explore the builds and tackle the daunting task of meeting new people.

Wednesday brought me half way through the week and with it new jobs and new people. I travelled to the second build which Brown Bag Film employees inhabit. Every building, every office and desk and person is so colourful, bright and delightfully cheerful I got a new buzz and jolt of excitement with every new face and task, even with the mundane task of logging files and pasting signatures to drawings. It was nice though I felt really Involved and I really felt like I was helping which is was what I wanted. It up lifting. I also got the amazing chance to add to the Brown Bag Films blog site. I was grateful for the opportunity to flex my writing skills and thankfully I didn’t disappoint the people around me or myself.

Thursday was possibly my favourite day. I was honoured to be given the chance to spend the day writing about another passion of mine, cartoons. I spent basically my day writing about cartoons and what the mean to me and how the influenced my childhood. It was incredible. I truly loved it and it was so much I didn’t feel like I was working for a second of the whole day. I was just happy. It was my penultimate day and there was part of me just revelling in the environment just trying to savour every possible emotion and experience and conversation but I was just to enthralled in my so called work I was unable to soak it all up also there was just so much I could possibly retain it all.

Friday started off sombre and I lacked the spring in my step I had previously carried with me throughout the week. The train journey was filled with me with more of a melancholy temperament than usual. As I dolefully walk up to the building and up to reception I was again hit with the infectious smile of Meabh and the rest of the joyful bunch. Making the whole processes of saying good bye and farewell easier but in no way less disheartening. I flowed through the day with the thought of leaving out of mind and just enjoying the moment. I met more new people and learnt a lot more a lot the process of making a kids animated show. It was enlightening to say the least. Although the whole business is far from the career I wish to make my own I learnt that the distance is not all that big.


The entire week was nothing less than an immense pleasure and I can’t thank Brown Bag Films enough for everything, especially Meabh, Zoey and David who made the experience one that I will hold dear to my heart for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment